Thursday, February 14, 2008

Future Craft.


Angela had the great idea to do a post about future craft plans, so here goes..

First on the list would probably be embroidery. Danielle got me into it this past fall. She made that rockin' dishtowel in the pic. There's a really great website devoted to all things embroidery - they have incredible patterns (super cool designs) and fantastic kits for those of us who are just starting out. It's called Sublime Stitching and their tagline is, "This ain't your gramma's embroidery!" (pretty fun). I made a dishtowel (actually embroidered on a tea towel) for my mom for xmas, but forgot to take a pic as always, so maybe I'll get one posted of it eventually after a visit to the northwest. I'd like to back the stitching with fabric like Danielle did - it's a great way to protect your stitches if you feel like you should (I like the idea, although Jenny @ Sublime say it's unnecessary and she absolutely knows best), plus it adds a nice accent to your work. :-)

Oh, and I found a website through someone's blog (can't remember right now, who's it was) for some flour sack towels to embroider on at P.O.S.H. - they're 30 x 36" vs. the 26 x 28" tea towels - and a bit thicker cotton.

Next on the list is bottle decoupage. Angela and I did some a while back - we each did two, gifting one and keeping the other for ourselves. The one shown in the pic is the one I did and kept for myself - using it for dish soap. I sent the other one to my mom for her birthday with some olive oil (whoa, just realized how long ago we did those - my mom's bday is in May). Anyhoo, we 'borrowed' the idea from an artist at Naked Art in Forest Park. We just kinda guessed at what they did and tried a couple things until they turned out how we intended. I think they turned out great! I'm sure they'll be even better the second go 'round. The bottles are just plain clear ones from World Market - they have all shapes and sizes.

We also have chair recovering plans. Casey and I inherited a dining room set from the former owners of our house when we moved in, and one of the first home projects we did was recover those chairs. My mom actually did most of them with me when I was still looking for a job and she was visiting. She went with me to pick out a different fabric for each chair. I think we finished four out of the six before she had to fly home, and Casey helped me with the rest. It was so fun b/c it completely transformed the beautiful chairs. You can't tell from the photo, but the woodworking details on the chair are really nice - they just needed a fresh start. They're scattered around the house and I love them! :D Angela's ready for some recovering at her house, so we'll go at it whenever she says the word.

We also have plans to do some photoshoots with Eve. She's into photography, so we're hoping we'll learn a thing or two from her while participating in her process. Her photos are amazing - I've just started checking her stuff out on flickr and am uber impressed.

2 comments:

Sara Leah said...

I really love that dish towel. I woould love nothing more than to embroider robots onto all of my household linens. I'm serious. I don't know what Jim would think about it, but I would absolutely love it. I'll get him a rare edition of beowulf or Chaucer and he'll never notice the Battle of the Robots bedspread I plan to make. Can you find out where she got that pattern?

Monica Gray said...

Yeah, I love that pattern too!

It's from the Spaced Out designs - Sublime Stitching. I have it if you want to iron on... although, battle of the robots sounds like you may need a helluva lotta robots - we may need to look for some other robot varieties.. I'll keep my eyes and ears and such open.