Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hi there.


So, I've decided to give this blog thing a whirl...

Feeling immersed in and surrounded by craftiness, it seemed the right time to begin documenting and sharing. Consequently, these posts will be dedicated to the ideas, progress, successes and failures of crafting - by me and the crafty ladies I have the pleasure of knowing.

Ok, for the first bloggy photo, I'm posting a pic of my very first stack of fabric to introduce my latest crafting craze - sewing!!! It will soon be washed, marked and cut to prepare for sewing lesson no. 2 this Sunday. It was so satisfying opening those packages to see and feel the fabric. We'll see soon enough if I ordered the right amounts - it really twisted my brain in a knot trying to mentally lay out the sections, then convert between yards, fat quarters, inches .., then calculate the necessary quantity while keeping in mind shrinkage post-washing/drying, orientation to selvage edge... Of course, I had to really make it interesting by deciding to use two complimentary colorways - one being the primary fabric for piece #1 with the other as the contrasting colorway, then reversing the combination for piece #2 - that really got the drawings and formulas going. haha.
One of the two sewing projects planned for the near future involves following a pattern -- very scary.. and complicated (more on all that later)! This will be helped along with the lessons.

The other project comes from a kickass book that was gifted to me by a great friend and very crafty lady - it's called Bend the Rules Sewing by Amy Karol. I highly recommend this book - it really simplifies the sewing process, gives great tips and has quite a few fun sewing projects, most of which challenge you with different techniques.

Ain't that fabric lovely? ;)

3 comments:

Danielle said...

YEEHAW. i'm so giddy and pumped for your blog!! yay! ok, it's 12:37am here.. bad me, gotta go to bed.

Your choice of fabrics is STUNNING Monica! you did an incredible job! :-)

is your blog public? can i add it to my google reader? off to find out...

Clan Hill said...

I love your fabric!!! Where on earth did you get it? I know you're taking a sewing class, but if you have any questions please ask me. I would love to put my degree to work!
The blog is fantastic. Definitely planning on next week. I am so lucky to know such cool girls.

Monica Gray said...

Ok, blog is public now, so you should be able to get a feed. :) If you haven't done this before, it worked for me when I clicked at the bottom on "Subscribe Post(Atom)" to get a url that will work for the reader when you're adding a feed. Hope that helps.

Two of the fabrics are from reprodepot.com and are part of their folklore series (LOVE that entire series!). The rest of the fabric is from Fabricstash on Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=64762).
Danielle has also linked me to some other neat-o fabric sites like:
purlsoho.com
and freespiritfabric.com (where you can find Anna Maria Horner designs and many others).

Happy fabric hunting!