Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Knitting.

Knitting has been the object of my affection since the summer. First project was (naturally) a scarf in garter stitch. My first chance at sporting it came with a chilly weekend in Chicago (Sept. '07) for the Renegade Craft Festival, but the first pic I can find right now with it on is from the Holiday Ale Fest in Portland (Dec. '07).

After that I made a ridiculous 'To Do' list of knitting for xmas gifts. (Silly me.) I didn't cross off everything on that list, but did manage to take a hat class and knit a hat for little sis, Meg, then made legwarmers for littlest sis, Court (hope to post photos of those one day soon). Also, knitted 3 dishcloths for my mom to go with an embroidered kitchen towel (more on embroidery in another post). For some crazy reason, in the midst of all the holiday knitting I took a sock class... haven't even finished that first sock yet, but it's on the list. hehe. I wanted to make some socks for my grandma, but am now aiming to have some done by her birthday (mid-March).

Other than that I just finished some legwarmers for Danielle's birthday. I was so thrilled to see some
Lamb's Pride at Knit Nouveau in exactly her color - vibrant aqua! I loved how they turned out - used the same pattern as I did with Court's, but made them a bit smaller in an effort to prevent them from sliding down. Courtney's were sliders for sure, and for a number of reasons.. I loved how hers were so soft with washable wool, but the weight was heavier, so that combined with a loose fit made them sag down below the calf after a few steps. I'm hoping a little shrinkage from a washing and drying will solve that problem. If not, Sara Z in DC made a brilliant suggestion - a little strip of elastic at the top.. The other pic is of the gorgeous bag Sara had just finished knitting - she felted it at her sisters when we went to Baltimore that Sunday. It turned out terrific - fantastic shade of blue, scalloped edges, pretty ribbed strap and complete with a pocket inside. I was very impressed!



Angela and I have been trying to get together once a week for a craft night. We decided a couple months ago to try and organize a 'Circle of Craftiness' with the idea that we wouldn't confine the group to one craft (like knitting).. everyone brings the project of their choice, whatever they are inspired to work on for the night. It's been a ton of fun so far! Eve joined us one night for some sewing - she hemmed her first pair of pants while we looked on with interest. Sara Leah made it another time and worked on her second sock puppet. I need to get a pic from her - a friend gave her a kit for her birthday (will try and find out the name) and it turned out so very cute. Taylor should be joining us now that we switched to Mondays - can't wait to see what crafty things she's up to...

So, Ang and I have been knitting away. She's working on a scarf (first knitting project) for her husband. I have picked up, torn out and reinvented a scarf for Casey that sadly took a backburner to the frenzy of holiday knitting. She took a couple pics last night to show our progress. We're both about a third of the way there - not too shabby, I'd say. ;)



No comments: